St Ryanagh’s Church

St. Rynagh (Regnacía) was a sister of St. Finnian of Clonard. From Clonard she moved to Clonmacnoise and later to Banagher to become Abbess in the 6th century of a religious house probably located on this site. The surviving structure dates from the 17th century.

St. Rynagh’s Church was built in 1825/26. The belfry and spire were added in 1872. Michael Tierney, conservation architect, planned the reordering of the church in 2013. The stencilling and gilding is the work of Andy Regan while the tabernacle was created by Granada Studio, Spain. Michael Boylan, Cabinet Maker, Banagher, created the moulded panelling, cladded beams and mahogany door-liners.

 The altar, tabernacle pillar, ambo and baptismal font in Dublin granite were sculpted by Míchael Ryan. The Adoration Window, installed in 2013, had been in the old convent chapel since 1904.

The Madonna and Child (1974) was carved by Imogen Stuart and the Stations of the Cross are by Sligo Artist, Bernard McDonagh.

Browse More